Sunday, April 1, 2012

Me Is Has Was 4


Bloggiversaries are much like having your nipples stapled together by an unreformed press stud obsessive with a zeal for “progressing to the next stage”: inevitable given the right combination of inclination and equipment, yet also strangely unnerving.

But why so?

For several reasons, actually.

Firstly, those unreformed press stud obsessives can be a real handful — especially when they invade craft shops in teams of eight or more and make with the poppidy-pop.

Secondly, the word ‘bloggiversary’ stinks. If truth be told, it isn’t really a word. Someone, somewhere, clearly thought it up one day when they had nothing else better to do, and now, like the very best worst ideas, it’s probably stuck with us forever. I pity the blog-goers of the future, checking in to bloggiversary after bloggiversary, unaware that the word never used to exist, and it pains me to deploy such a phrase. Forget all that business about Santa’s elves dying every time a child stops believing in Christmas — those of us who even think of using the word ‘bloggiversary’ are complicit in the dumbing down of the future.

Thirdly, those press stud guys again. As I now understand it (having googled* the matter), press stud obsessives can be treated for their condition by having their thumbs removed and replaced with harmonicas. It pretty much prevents them from popping and unpopping studs unless they want to risk damaging their teeth or spending a fortune on nostril enhancing steroids. The logic behind the opposabledigitectomy** shares much with the chemical castration of sex offenders, only with more options for making a hit blues album should old habits get the better of you. I know this is only tangentially related to bloggiveraries but I still find it an unnerving reality worthy of mention.

* and before you complain that I’m hoisting myself by my own petard, I’m fully aware that it’s technically possible to ‘google ‘bloggiversary’’

** which, unlike ‘bloggiversary’, will almost certainly never catch on sufficiently in order to become googlable...

Fourthly, every time a child stops believing in Christmas we only have ourselves to blame. We invented the word, just like we invented ‘bloggiversary’. As for the elves, Lapland is swimming with them, and I’m sure Santa welcomes every initiative and wheeze to keep the numbers down.

Fifthly, the last time I tried nostril enhancing steroids (spurred to do so, as I recall, by a particularly unyielding jar of pickled onions), the tube split while I was cranking up the applicator nozzle and a blob of cream squirted onto my tongue. If it hadn’t been for my ability to think quickly on my feet that day I’d have suffocated as my swelled tongue invaded my throat and nasal cavities. Luckily, Girly of Whirly had been baking, and a selection of oddly shaped metal pastry cutters lay draining on the dashboard as I part-inflated. Salvation! I grabbed a couple and slid them over my tongue like rings at a slippery eel wedding. The diameter of those first two cutters spared my lips an agonising stretch and split, I can tell you, though I did put a couple of windows out as a surge of blood squeezed its way to the tip of my tongue. In the end, I had to do that thing those Giraffe Women do with their necks in order to keep my swollen organ under control.
All of this is strangely unnerving, but what speaks to me today is the eerie regularity with which any anniversary comes around once it’s anniversed a couple of times. For me, April 1st now resounds with the salvo blast of celebration like embalmed papal cadavers fired from a cannon at the start of Holy Week — and as I hit my 4th bloggiversary, I hope the same goes for everyone else too.

12 comments:

Donna Hole said...

Well, then, I will wish you happy blogiversary, and hope this household - er, blogdom word- reappears for you several times in the future ;)

......dhole

Robin Billings said...

Congrats on your Four-Yeardom, Whirlio!!

Old Kitty said...

I'm still enjoying the veggie gravy granules I won off your blog! Yay!

Happy blogiversary! Take care
x

Whirlochre said...

Donna
It'll be round next year, like a re-run of Cannon...

Wrobin
Could have been a nasty typo, that one...

Old Kitty
That quiz is still up to view here

Precie said...

Happy made-up-holiday! And many, many more...for at least as long as blogs exist. ;)

fairyhedgehog said...

Happy Bloggibirthday!

There, isn't that better?

jjdebenedictis said...

Yes, as Fairy says, Happy Bloggibirthday!

(A totally different made-up word is totally okay, right?)

**blows a party squeaker**

Whirlochre said...

Squeakers R Go...

stacy said...

Well, I'm still gonna use it. Happy Bloggiversary!

Mother (Re)produces. said...

You are a true bluggernaut, whirl. Also, that image of your tongue will inhabit my mindsoup until it festers.

Whirlochre said...

Ditto your soup...

Evil Editor said...

Belated grats. Just realized hadn't seen whirltweets lately, found you were no longer on list of tweeters I follow, thus missed blogivertweetsaries. Even if seen, would have been assumed to be April Fools joke, as only an idiot would do this four years.