Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sylvia's Buns

Always a mistake to opt for this kind of post title...

However, in spite of the swathe of suggestions for this post from the previous comments trail (most of which I missed (thankfully)), I decided right at the start of my bank holiday break that I would take Sylvia up on her oodles of delicious yumminess idea. Having spent the best part of May staring into the abyss of multiple builders’ backsides, I figured it was time to play the Yumminess Card. Kilts, socks, and anti-apocalypse sceptres of wrath will have to wait for another time, I’m afraid.

And so, to the assortment of cakes and other spongey delights throbbing with carbohydrates behind the counter of the Arlington Court tea rooms. How glad I was of their sugary dreaminess, their swollen, abundant nibblitude. For three whole days I’d had neither sight, sound nor sniff of anything remotely cakey, and had begun to wonder whether Sylvia was to be disappointed in her desire to see crumbly flakes of pastry, drizzled in syrup, bulging with sultanas, here, now. After all, hadn’t I let her down last holiday by not following up her request to see a French rat sneaking across to England?


As you can see, on that occasion, I ran out of time cutting and pasting a rat over my unprofessional photographer’s spectre (and the onions and pre-shrug expression of je ne sais quoi on the face of the rat), but as I stood in the scone queue at Arlington Court*, on one leg, heron-style, talking to an old lady (also on one leg — there was some sort of convention, I think, and everyone was at it), I knew I had to take a snapshot of the sumptuous fayre and post it. So here it is.


* I’ve mentioned this twice now so I’d better explain. It’s in Devon, they have bats, and the estate has some connection with Sir Francis Chichester. Don’t ask me, I was only a tourist.

The ladies behind the counter (I love Courts — you get proper ladies) implored me to fill in a customer survey, though I expect they probably binned it the moment I left, dribbling from the midriff as it was with the squeezed cream of OTT effusement.

Other than that, I sat on a beach all weekend and could probably now pass for an Albanian tennis player.

22 comments:

Ann said...

Game, set and match! Enjoy the buns.

sylvia said...

HAHAHA! This is wonderful. I love the crumbs judiciously scattered around. I am also quite impressed with the Vole hole even if you didn't finish it!

I have to admit that I'm somewhat relieved that you this time you didn't mention my box.

sylvia said...

So relieved, in fact, that I have lost command of the English language.

My word verification is scornes. I no longer believe these are random. It's not possible!

fairyhedgehog said...

Buns are good (although a kilt would have been better).

Old Kitty said...

Le chat? Ou et le chat? One legged or otherwise?
:-)

Anyway! These are delightfully delicious devilishly divine delicacies.

Merci boo-coop as le francais peeps would say!

Methinks Sylvia's melons should be next! :-)

take care
x

sylvia said...

OI!

McKoala said...

How many buns did you scoff? Does the expanding waistline explain the lack of kiltage?

ril said...

Thank you for reminding me what I miss most about England -- its Englishness.

Whirlochre said...

Ann
I may send a consignmet of sultana to Andy Murray to help him become "some cop".

Sylvia
Thanks for being an inspiration. But for you, I'd have been left holding no more than a duck and a model railway.

Hogariffic
The beauty of it all is that I don't even own a kilt...

Old Kitty
Honestly, you girls, egging each other on...

McKoala
Trust you to spot that one. It was cold. I was wearing a coat.

Ril
Any excuse to don Victorian costume, eh?

Scarlet Blue said...

Oh. Were you near Barnstaple?
...bit of a cold weekend... hopefully the gratuitous cake products made up for it.
Sx

ril said...

Any excuse to don Victorian costume, eh?

I wish. Unfortunately, the corsets always make me faint.

Whirlochre said...

Scarlet
Drove through twice. Were you there? We could have done the Big Sheep together.

Ril
Just looking at corsets make me feel faint.

Scarlet Blue said...

I'm fairly close! I like Lynton.
Sx

Whirlochre said...

Scarlet
Remind me never again to say, "bugger the queue for that old cliff railway thingy, let's walk up to Lynton"...

Peter Dudley said...

A ha! So that is where one goes to get voled. It all comes together now, just as it's all coming apart.

DJ Kirkby said...

'The Vole Hole', what a great name!

Whirlochre said...

Pete 'n' Deej
Voles are very under represented in the cafe world.

Robin S. said...

Sylvia - Whirl's got your buns!? Wow, now that's some newsworthy stuff!

Only thing that could've made the Vole Holeshot better would've been a kilt and knobbly knees refelcted in the glass...

Love Devon. I'm jealous.

P.S. Sylvia is right - these word vers are devious. Mine is 'skine'.

Whirlochre said...

Wrobin
Maybe if I go back there, I'll equip myself properly...

Bernita said...

I love the English.

Phoenix said...

Do they actually serve vole in England? Or do they actually serve voles? Or do they ... oh, forget it. Welcome back!

I just popped over to your novel extracts. Still lovin' that voice of yours. And a bonus - I understood the Kate one perfectly. Ah, young romance! As for Deano, I was definitely getting a Sweeney Todd vibe. Although I don't think Sweeney was such a colorful dresser.

fairyhedgehog said...

Still lovin' that voice of yours.

I went back and had another listen and I have to agree with Phoenix.