Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Tender Heart Screams From The Ventricles: Excerpts FromThe Colin Frape Poetry Omnibus


Hughes' "Crow" (A Tribute)


Pelican, strange pelican,
bite me not
with your beak
so sharp (above the flappy bit).
Pelican, strange pelican,
beat me not
with your array of collectible Victorian spatulas,
each rumoured to be worth between fifty and seventy pounds
according to the ebullient antiques twerp
from Cash In The Attic.
Pelican, strange pelican,
watch me not
as I undress my neighbour’s dog
to reveal some sort of tick
or fungal growth
lodged between armpit and embroidered house suit
whose vile discharge
any fabric (even tent canvas with a high PVC content) could stain,
immeasurably.
Pelican, strange pelican,
to within an inch of my life, crush me not
with the bronze hippopotamus figurine
planned as a centrepiece work of art
for the new Wolverhampton shopping mall —
yet rejected at the very last minute
despite all four legs and the underside
having been beaten into shape
by the dedicated sculptor (who nearly died).
Pelican, strange pelican,
flap overhead not
as I smear Vaseline on the postman’s sore and ragged lips
to aid him in his Herculean sack-hauling task,
lest the vapours should rise and incapacitate thee in some way,
like you fly into a house or lose height wiping your eyes,
or land on a cow’s back,
the two of you momentarily befuddled
in a way that would make a great internet viral
if only someone had a camera handy:
a proper one, not a phone one.
Pelican, strange pelican!
O,
o (o),
my muse!

13 comments:

Scarlet Blue said...

What was the neighbour's dog wearing? And why couldn't the neighbour sort the messy hound out himself?
Questions, questions, questions....
Sx

writtenwyrdd said...

If your muse is a pelican, might I suggest that you offer it, instead of amusing poetry, some fish?

fairyhedgehog said...

Pelican, strange pelican!

Indeed, yes.

latvialovedoll1877 said...

i have hotmial maybe we chat sometime? I have beutiful pastry recipes and two dogs 1labrodor 1 alsatian. If u want I can send photos or even caks thru post. very hot brunete student brans and body 100%. hot hot hot

jjdebenedictis said...

You're brilliant. Just thought I'd mention that.

Chris Eldin said...

Heard you were looking for some more writing advice so I had to pop on over as fast as I could.
;-)
Teasing! Just read your post below. Can't resist one bit though. *Read*
Ditto JJ.
:-)

Whirlochre said...

JJ
Thanks. I do try my hardest to excel in all areas. Apart from being a dwarf. I'm hopeless at that.

Chris "Once Merely A Rhino's Butt" E
Ah. Yea. That old reading thing...

Whirlochre said...































h

Geoff said...

That's what's known as dropping your h's...

fairyhedgehog said...

Groan.

;)

Whirlochre said...

Tschh. Cat humour.

McKoala said...

Sometimes I worry about you.

I worry about Ted Hughes too, though. So that's probably a good thing.

Stinkingly good.

stacy said...

Your muse is a pelican, then. Somewhere in there is a Freudian point to be made. . .