Friday, November 27, 2009

Yeah...And A Woolly Hat...And Bedsocks...


Today, I've been like a frisky badger — rubbed precisely the right way with one of those nylon feather dusters that generates a lot of static, and filled to the tip of my sniffly-snuffly snout with a roaring cascade of Vimto.


Great!

I’ve had a productive morning’s writing, I haven’t killed anyone, and there are still plenty of chocolate digestives left in the biscuit barrel. Whoops. No there aren’t. Naughty

And now as the sun fades on the burned-out shell of a neighbourhood still visible through my window in spite of the smog, I feel a Cheery Grandpa Moment coming on.

I shall cast off these tired work clothes (that’s imagery btw — I’m actually referring to a pair of jeans and a reasonably smart shirt, both badger-sized) and wrap around my person some snuggly dressing gown affair, don slippers fit for a family of friendly mice, and sit myself before the roaring radiator (not as romantic as a log fire, I know, but thanks to the crappy boiler, it does roar when it gets going) with a mug of hot cocoa and a muffin soft enough to eat without my teeth in.

And there, I shall remain, contentedly snoozing the night away till bedtime, stirred only by the warmth of a friendly cat, a loving cuddle from Grandma (Girly of Whirly probably won’t dress up for this. Or thank me), and the gentle tick-tock of long-sighted lovebirds trying to peck each other’s eyes out. Okay, so I made that last bit up, but you get the idea — though now I think of it, some sort of avian addition to the household might be worth thinking about. Geoff can’t catch birds to save her life and I’ve always fancied a bit of that Song of the South / Snow White in the kitchen kind of thing. (Scribbles note to self)

So that’s my stall set out for the night, I think. I’m going to Grandpa it on up in downtown Twilightville.

How are you starting your weekend?

14 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I got to I shall cast off these clothes and had to go and have a lie down.

I hope you enjoy your grandfathering. I'm off to the vet with Rufus, who's been in a fight. Again. He's had his cut glued together and now needs a check up. He's a very expensive cat.

Kiersten White said...

I'm starting my weekend smiling over your imagery : )

Whirlochre said...

Fairy The Wonderhog
Strange, Rufus always looks like such a well-behaved cat. Not the sort to get into fights.

Kiersten The Wondermome
Beats drooling, I suppose — yet in a way that still flatters.

Aerin said...

The grandfatherly imagery won't work. I know what you did to Santa.

Whirlochre said...

Aerin The Wonderseer
At least I didn't harm the reindeer.

writtenwyrdd said...

Whirl, I think you might be better off with a Albatross on the television. Or a parrot from the Monty Python shop. that way Geoff can at least get a bit of ego boost with a successful hunt.

Whirlochre said...

Written The Wonderspecchick
Great idea. That'll save me knitting a couple of sparrows.

McKoala said...

'frisky badger' nearly finished me, but I'm glad I got as far as Vimto. Happy memories of warm fizz in glass bottles after being obliterated at tennis. I was usually obliterated. But the charm of Vimto obliterated that.

Anyway... spent most of the day at the school carnival in temperatures well into the thirties. I need a sweatectomy.

stacy said...

I'm going to imagine the roaring fireplace, anyway. A roaring radiator is too post-Dickens for what is now officially the Christmas season.

Basically I've been spending the weekend a) gorging on homemade food, b) working, c) screwing around on blogs when I should be working.

Whirlochre said...

Koala The WonderMc
Temperatures well into the thirties? You're just trying to make me feel bad aren't you?

Stacy The Wondercafegirl
Sounds like you chaps over the pond have spent the past few days pigging out. I'm surprised any of you can move at all, let alone type.

stacy said...

Well, I am horizontal as I type this.

Whirlochre said...

On the bellytop, I presume?

Bernita said...

Reading this I have a sudden vision of a Giles cartoon for some reason...

Whirlochre said...

Then get yer socks on, missus.