Monday, August 3, 2009

I Know I Said I Wouldn’t — But I Did


Today, I’m supposed to be trawling through the piles of holiday laundry threatening to mutate into a parallel universe of unwashed pants, but bugger that for a game of soldiers.


Ha! What soldiers?

Hans: Great game of footie, Tommy. Merry Christmas.
Tommy: Merry Christmas, Hans. Let’s get these strips washed and resume the shooting.
Hans: What with, comrade? The Kaiser has not equipped us well. Just these pointy helmets for hand washing — and no soap powder.
Tommy: Crikey. You’ll never win the war at this rate. I’ll ask our CO if you can borrow the Zanussi. And here, take this packet of Persil and share it out amongst your men...

A writing curfew, for heavens’ sake? I should know myself better by now.

So — I have to report that some writing happened. And it’s good news.




Picture the scene, if you will...


There I was cycling round the shores of Lake Annecy, following in the pedalsteps of Bradley Wiggins and Lance Armstrong (and, when I have time, I’ll try and render my mobile video footage into a montage of cinematic delight), when I began having a few ideas about my current novel. Just a few things — odd plot twists and such — none of which I wrote down. But it was enough to feed my brain, and after a good night’s kip, I rose the next morning eager to make use of our planned hike round Menthon St Bernard to hose some new mind stuff over the emerging sprawl of my next project like a latterday Jackson Pollock.

A four mile hilltop walk in the 30 degree heat might not sound like the most fertile of gestation pools, but by the time we were done, I was delighted with the metaspectra that had fluttered twixt eye and ear as we negotiated dried-out river beds, surprise cats and dragonflies the size of cigars.

Here are some of the pretty pictures...






What I ended up with were the draft outlines for the first four chapters, a map, six or seven living breathing characters, and a T shirt dripping with so much sweat you could have swum in it. Admittedly, I was resurrecting an old idea from the early 90s that had already begun to morph into something different, but I astonished myself with the factor nouveau that transformed it all from a potentially workable idea into something that simply has to be written. I’ve not been this excited since Ronnie Corbett accidentally goosed me looking for his spectacles during a power cut on a late night sleeper train to Thurrock.

So I now have two projects on the go (besides Girly of Whirly and Son of Whirl, both of whom are high maintenance distractions in their own right): tidying up my current almost-finished WIP with the aid of my alarmingly astute beta critiques (see progress in sidebar), and havehappening the idle thoughts necessary for mapping out the bizarre new fantasy world in which my blossoming characters will shortly be forced to romp.

Voila!

12 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Knees. Legs. Socks. Knees.

Sorry, did you say something?

Oh, yes. I love the pictures of the scenery and I'm glad the Muse has struck again.

Robin S. said...

First, I LOVE that pink socks picture, babycakes. Had to say.

Also really enjoyed seeing your hiking views - gorgeous! I can see where the brain writing would come and pay you a visit there in the land of beauty and faraway - glad you snagged the thoughts (forgive me) whirling around in that head of yours and jotted them down so you can use them.

Great on the edits! It's gonna be weird, writing two books, but also a pleasure. One as a break from the other, basically. Have fun!

Glad you're back.



P.S. My word ver is 'catica'. Seems right, with Geoff there and all.

Geoff said...

*sigh*

My favourite shampoo...

JaneyV said...

Fantastic when you get grabbed by the muse and thrown to the ground in passionate tussle, isn't it? Those socks are the business.

I find that walking the dog frees my mind from all the other crap that clogs it up and stops the words. There's something about getting down and dirty with nature...

So - are there any more leg pictures - I mean pictures of the scenery?

Mary said...

Oh wow, and well done! Wooded areas are THE BEST for cooking up ideas. Even better when it’s hot enough to simmer dormant concepts to the boil.

Kiersten said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Nothing like the thrill of a new idea.

And the pictures were great, too : )

Whirlochre said...

Janey

There's something about getting down and dirty with nature...

Honestly, you're like an actress quoting a druid to a bishop.

Mary
As long as it doesn't melt my sandwiches, I'm OK with heat.

(came the bishop's reply)

Kiersten
Stay tuned for more pictorial delights.

Robin S. said...

"Janey- There's something about getting down and dirty with nature...

Honestly, you're like an actress quoting a druid to a bishop."


HA! NOW I realize why I enjoy hanging out with Janey!

McKoala said...

Aha, les socks roses!

Mais...no mountains? green water? no sun? Monsieur Le Whirl, did you nip down to your local pond to take a photo?

Les autres photos are very bootiful, though.

Brain space is a fine way to generate ideas. Long walks and long journeys are the best way to make that space. Said the actress to the bishop.

sylvia said...

the factor nouveau that transformed it all from a potentially workable idea into something that simply has to be written.

That's awesome! I'm so excited for you. Will we get excerpts?

Robin S. said...

By the way...I've got a thing for male kneecaps, and yours are quite fine.

Whirlochre said...

McKoala
Don't get me started about my 'local pond'...

Sylvia
Much as I whoop and cheer that you should crave excerpts, I don't there will be any for a while.

Robin
Stay tuned...