Monday, February 23, 2009

Upwardly Strobile


Occasionally, I'm minded to ask myself just how far up life's pulsating Wobbler Bobbler I'm prepared to shove my photo-sensitive feelers in search of excitement.


On a day like today, I've somehow managed it twice.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I've had any profound Eureka moments, or even witnessed my next door neighbour's dog stripping. Hey — my credit card couldn't stand that kind of stuff.

Nope. It's the snacky biscuity things.

I've got no idea what you all dunk in your tea whenever you're feeling flirtsy with your muse, or even if you dunk at all, but I've developed the hots for Penguin cake bars and I've been stuffing myself silly all morning to the point where a cliched remark of "if you eat any more of those Penguin cake bars, you'll end up looking like one" (assuming anyone loved me enough to (a) say such a thing jokily or (b) even be around...) might actually constitute a workable prophecy.

OK, OK, three times: I've been up life's pulsating Wobbler Bobbler three times.

OK, OK, OK — a whole packet. I couldn't help myself. They're fucking delicious. And the sugar rush, man, the sugar rush. It's like what licking Elvis in his heyday must have been like, only with more sugar. And Tony Curtis playing a raspberry ripple banjo. What a shame he had to grow old and never star as Obi Wan Kenobi or any of the roles miserably acted out by Brad Pitt. I loved Tony Curtis and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Oh the lights are flashing again, my my. More Penguin cake bars. I must have more Penguin cake bars...

8 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

You would probably love Little Debbie cakes. I hate them for the name (for not so obvious reasons, except maybe to you) but they are little sugary pills of delight when one is in the mood for such things.

We don't have the penguin cakes here. But we can purchase them on line at this site (among a few others)
http://www.britishfoodshop.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=150

Kiersten said...

I could some instant-joy in the form of these penguin bars.

McKoala said...

The supermarket here sells drugged chocolate chip cookies.

How do I know? While I love choc chip cookies, I can usually stop at two (we're talking big ones). These cookies...nah. I eat a minimum of six at a time, people, six at a time! I just can't stop myself.

JaneyV said...

I have had these packets of cake bar binges too - not recently - mostly when I was breastfeeding. I try not to eat when writing. I try … I rarely succeed.

freddie said...

You love Penguin cake bars the way I love peanut butter bars. Or did before the salmonella scare.

Whirlochre said...

Question is, who scoffs salmonella bars and eschews chocolate? They could be out there right now, in some gloomy festering cosmos. Or maybe it's the guy over the road who lets his dog shit everywhere.

As for the link between chocolate and breastfeeding, what can I say? When Girly Of Whirly took up said bloodsport, I tried to scoff as much as I could while she was incapacitated.

Mary said...

You’ve sold me!! It’s all I can do to stop myself tearing out of the office this very minute to race to the nearest food shop (that little Co-op I never visit might be closest) and grab a fix.

Whirlochre said...

Don those carbs, Mary.