Saturday, October 18, 2008

Memophilia 3


Tagged, as if by a gossamer lasso slipped round a stray eyebrow and tugged deftly upwards, I bow to Writtenwyrdd for reeling me in on this one.


Page 56. 2-5 lines of whatever you’re reading right now. Fortunately, I’ve just finished How To Dress Like A Woman Yet Feel Like A Real Man, and started The Complete Bat by James Robertson.

So, here goes...

This allows me to make a small digression. It concerns a friend who was not unnaturally taken aback by one of the recipes in a perfectly ordinary cook book he had acquired. The book, which was dedicated to ‘the natural way of eating for good health’, contained a recipe for fruit bat soup ‘on an off-chance that a reader may find himself in Micronesia’.

Protocol and generosity now decree I hoist this meme otherblogward, so I summon Robin S, Blogless Troll and Sarah Laurenson to wrestle with the lure of memophilia...

10 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Nice one, WO. And thanks for the tag, I think. The only thing I'm reading now is my manuscript, though I am flipping to random pages and reading a certain book whenever I'm stuck in the reading room. Guess I'll go with that one.

Whirlochre said...

Whatever you go with, I'll be there.

Actually, that's a servicable lyric.

Perhaps, for Celine.

Any lyrics for Celine?

She fixed her teeth early — so let's help her out with her overall taste...

Kiersten said...

I looked for this one at my library, Whirl, but it was all checked out, and the "hold" list was positively astronomical. At this rate, I should be able to get the book sometime in 2070, at which point fruit bats will be extinct anyhow.

Whirlochre said...

Pure speculation.

In reality, I've been threatening to build a bat box since 1991.

JaneyV said...

I'm sure there are fruit bats at London Zoo so a trip to Micronesia may not be necessary.

Whirlochre said...

Tempting, though — especially if they have decent hats.

Robin S. said...

Be with you on this soon, my good man.

Fun one!

ChrisEldin said...

Interesting excerpt! It just sits there and dares you to ask any questions...

Mary said...

I wonder if you enjoyed How To Dress Like A Woman Yet Feel Like A Real Man just as much as I enjoyed its sequel, How To Dress Like Carrie Bradshaw Yet Feel Like A Real Woman? Frankly, it changed my life.

blogless troll said...

OK. I capitulated.