Sunday, May 18, 2008

Directly Outside 3



Directly outside my window, translucent corpuscles bob in the slime like slow motion footballs inhabited by the spirits of emergent frogspawn.


I play a torch beam towards them, amazed by the phosphorecscent unity of their reply.


As one swells with a fibrillating shimmy, another is sucked almost inside itself and I clutch at my guts as if to catch the butterflies.


I stand and watch them swim around, pressing my face against the glass to get as close as I can.

All are no bigger than peas and I fancy I see creature shapes in the cluster of unknown organs pulsating at the heart of each one.


I go without food to behold them, waiting for the tiny orbs to split in half and split in half again.


But they do not divide.

They swim to each other through the murk. And kiss.


I would dearly love to join them, but I’m trapped in this place. Doomed only to witness as the world spins by, directly outside...


No comments: